Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Prose Poems

Following is a collection of prose poems that I tried to write from the original poetry of well known poets.

1
The Indian Serenade


I arise early from sweet sleep after dreaming of you all night. The winds are soft and the stars are still shining bright in the sky. I arise after dreaming of you with springs under my feet. O sweet darling! I do not know how, but I arrive below your bedroom window.

The wandering airs are slowing down. The stream is silent and the scent of pine trees is everywhere like thoughts in a dream. The nightingale has stopped complaining in her heart. O my beloved! Let my heart be upon yours for me to stop complaining.

O darling! Lift me up from the grass below your bedroom window. I die! I faint! I fail! Let your kisses of love rain on my lips and my pale eyelids. My cheeks are getting cold and white. My heart is beating loud and fast. O sweetheart! Press my heart to your heart once again. It will break there at last.

From the original poem of Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)at http://www.englishverse.com/poems/the_indian_serenade

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2
To the Virgins, to make much of time


Gather your rosebuds while you may, the time is flying fast. The flower that smiles today, tomorrow will be dying.

Sun, the glorious lamp of the heaven, the higher it gets, the sooner it will end its race, nearer to its setting.

The best years of your life are when you are young and your blood is hot. With time, the best years will become worse, then worst.

Do not be coy. Use you best time if you will. Go and get married. If you waste your prime, you’ll be messing around all your life and will be sorry.


Original poem of Robert Herrick (1591-1674)at http://www.englishverse.com/poems/to_the_virgins_to_make_much_of_time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home