Thursday, December 15, 2005

Press my heart to your heart once again

The Indian Serenade

I arise early from sweet sleep after dreaming of you all night. The winds are soft and the stars are still shining bright in the sky. I arise after dreaming of you with springs under my feet. O sweet darling! I do not know how, but I arrive below your bedroom window.

The wandering airs are slowing down. The stream is silent and the scent of pine trees is everywhere like thoughts in a dream. The nightingale has stopped complaining in her heart. O my beloved! Let my heart be upon yours for me to stop complaining.

O darling! Lift me up from the grass below your bedroom window. I am dying! I am fainting! I am failing! Let your kisses of love rain on my lips and on my pale eyelids. Alas! My cheeks are getting cold and white. My heart is beating loud and fast. O sweetheart! Press my heart to your heart once again. It will break there at last.


~Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
Original poem at http://www.englishverse.com/poems/the_indian_serenade

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home