Wednesday, March 29, 2006

He asks me if I believe in God

My dad is now stalking horses.
He sleeps alone downstairs on sofa.
He says my mom snores all night.

But he cannot sleep.
He gets up and smokes
Many times a night.
I say nothing.

He is old, not far from death.
He wants to keep peace with God,
And is not sure about God.

Perhaps he's trying
To make sense out of life.
He asks me if I believe in God.

My beliefs are pedestrian.
When we are dead, we are dead.
And will not know if once we lived.

But what we did and said,
Lives on affecting others
To whom what we did and said.

A life worth living -
Even when we’re are gone
For someone to reap after our death.

Yet, I speak to God and ask:
When this summer is gone,
Will I have another one?


Note: Based on a blog of Jan Osman at
http://www.sulekha.com/groups/postdisplay.aspx?cid=641116&forumid=756919

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home