Thursday, December 15, 2005

Excerpts from Bhagawad Gita - Chapter I

Chapter 1
Sorrow of Arjuna
Dhritarashtra:
O Sanjay, please tell me what
my people and Pandu’s sons are doing
gathered in Kurukshetra’s holy-plains?


Sanjaya:
King Duryodhana saw Pandvas’ army
in the battle-field and spoke these words
to Drona, his teacher:
“Behold, O Teacher!
This mighty army of Pandu’s sons
arrayed by Drupada-the wise disciple.

There are heroes and great bowmen
like Bhima and Arjuna
Yuyudhana, Virata and Drupada
all in their chariots to fight.

*****

Our army led by Bhisma is great
their army led by Bhima is small.
All of them at their assigned-posts
are guarding Bhisma, yes Bhisma alone.


Bhisma, your glorious grandsire,
the oldest of Kauravas,
got up to cheer Duryodhana,
and blew his conch like a roaring-lion.

Following him on our side
were then heard sudden sounds
of tabors and kettledrums
cow-horns and drums,
all blaring forth tremendously.

Then Madhava, Krishna
and son of Pandu, Arjuna
seated in their great chariot,
yoked with white steeds,
blew their conches divine.

*****

The uproar was so huge, the sounds
resounded in the heavens and earth,
tearing apart Dhrtarastra’s sons’ hearts.

Seeing Dhrtarastra’s party all arrayed,
ready to discharge their weapons,
Arjuna, the son of Pandu
bearing an ensign of monkey-design
took up his bow and asked Krishna,
"O Lord of this world!
What’s going to follow now?"

Arjuna:
O Krishna, in my chariot I come
in the middle of two armies to see
who stands here desirous to fight
and with whom I must fight,
just before the war starts.
For I desire to see the fighters,
especially the evil, Duryodhana
whom I’d love to please.

Sanjaya:
O Dhrtarastra, hearing this from Arjuna
Krishna brought the best of his chariots
in the middle of two armies,
in front of Bhisma and Drona
and other rules of the earth
and said to Arjuna: “O Arjuna,
behold these Kurus gathered together.”

*****

O Krishna!
Seeing my kinsmen arrayed eager to fight,
I feel my limbs failing, my mouth parching
my body quivering, and my hair standing on ends.

Gandiva, My bow is slipping in my hands,
my skin feels hot, and my head is reeling,
I feel I am falling on my knees.
And I see the adverse omens
I see no good in killing kinsmen in battle.

I desire no victory, O Krishna!
nor do I desire kingdom or pleasures.
Of what good is the victory to me,
Or pleasures of life or even life to me?

Those for whom we want the Kingdom,
enjoyments or other pleasures,
stand here in the battle
giving up their wealth and lives.

*****

O Krishna. I wish not to kill them
even though they kill me
I care not for three-worlds
for killing them in this world.

By killing sons of Dhrtarastra
what pleasure will be ours, O Krishna?
Only sin will befall killing these felons.

*****

For killing a family destroys
its eternal religious rites, and
by killing spirituality, the family
is overcome by impiety.

When impiety prevails, O Krishna
the women of the family are defiled
and thus, O Krishna
arises the intermingling of castes.

Confusion of the castes
sends the family-slayer to hell,
for their forefathers fall deprived
of the offerings of water and rice-balls.

Thus the evil deeds of family killers
cause confusion of the castes,
and destroy family’s eternal religious rites.
Alas! Just for the pleasures of a kingdom
we are going to kill our kinsmen.

*****

Sanjaya:
Arjuna, speaking thus in the battlefield
sitting on the seat of his chariot
got overwhelmed with sorrow
and threw away his bow and arrow.

******
0riginal in Sanskrit. Rendering from a literal transation in English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home