Tuesday, January 24, 2006

O the loo! ditto, go down -- Dedicated to Ted Kooser

These days I have been reading Ted Kooser’s The Poetry Home Repair Manuel. He says write poetry for the readers, not for yourself. Keep it simple. Get connected with them. Make them aware of the beauty around them. Let them see the world through your eyes. Do not write difficult verses that no one, except you, knows what they are about. Yet do write difficult, hard to understand poetry for those who love reading such poetry.

Ted does not tell us what we should do when simple poetry in some simpleton's terms does not make any sense, and you think it is all crap. Perhaps, we should try to make it hard, very hard, so that even the veteran poets across the globe have hard time understanding it. A challenge to their genius. No?

I found a recent poem on the Internet to throw some light on this issue. I will only post the first stanza – the original, and then my rendering of it. I would like it up to you to figure out which version makes most sense to you. And which version Ted would like to read.

The original:

I woke up one morning, I had a plan
I told it to god He laughed out loud
Hurt & shocked I looked around
At myself & then up & down

~Suchitra Krishnamoorthi

Now my version of the original:

Iwo ke upo nem o ning, ihadap lan
Itol ditto go dhela ughedo utalo ud
Hu rtand shoc kedi loo kedar ound
Atmys elfand the nu pand down

PS: Incidentally I did spell check on my version. It had only six English words in it that I have rearranged for you:

O, the loo! Ditto, go down.

And surprisingly this makes two lines of a unique verse as below:

O, the loo!
Ditto, go down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home