Thursday, December 15, 2005

Couplets of Amir Khusrau

The original 'doahs' are in Hindi and follow the translations that are mine.

On the night of honey moon,
The bride is awake all night,
Lying in bed with her groom.
She says: “My body is mine,
But my heart is yours,
We are now one in love.”
`````
Khusrau raen suhaag ki, jaagi pi ke sung,
Tun mero mun pi-u ko, dovu bhaye ek rung.

*****
My beloved left me,
He left me and crossed the river,
All on his own.
I am now standing here,
All alone.
`````
Bae gaye baalam, bae gaye nadia kinaar,
Aapay paar utar gaye, hum to rahay ehi paar

*****
O brother! O oarsman!
Please take me across the river.
I will give you in return,
Bangles of gold on my wrists
And the necklace around my neck
`````
Bhai ray malla jo hum kon paar utaar,
Haath ka devongi mandra, gal ka devun haar.

*****
Before I went to see my beloved,
I put all make-up
To look beautiful in my face.
When I saw how handsome he was,
I forget all my make-up,
I even forgot my face.
`````
Apni chhab banaikay, jo main pi kay paas gayi
Chhab dekhi jab piyu ki so apni bhool gayi.

*****
With my beloved I play
The game of love.
If I win, he is mine,
If I lose, I am his.
`````
Khusrau baazi prem ki main khelun pi ke sung,
Jeet gayi to piya moray, haari, pi kay sung.

*****
My beautiful lady is
Waiting for me,
Sitting on a bed of flowers.
Let me hurry,
The night is falling fast,
Let me hurry back home.
`````
Gori sovay sej par, mukh par daaray kes,
Chal Khusrau ghar aapnay, saanjh bhayee chahu des.

*****
What you need to do is this:
Put you soul and heart to work,
As Hindus always do.
In their Karma, they even burn
Themselves as offerings to their gods.
`````
Khusrau aesee peet kar, jaisay hindu joye,
Poot karaye kaarnay, jal jal koyla hoye.

*****
The river of love goes
Strangely against its flow.
Those who jump into it,
They drown.
And those who drown,
Find love.

******
Khusrau darya prem ka, ulti wa ki dhaar,
Jo utra so doob gaya, jo dooba so paar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home