Thursday, December 15, 2005

While Vacating the Old Home - Balmukund Dave

While Vacating the Old Home

Several times I looked and found many things:
An old broom, a toothbrush, a piece of unused soap,
A cap-less bottle, an old tin waste-bin, a leaking-bucket,
A pair of broken glasses, clips, buttons, pins, a needle and thread.
I took the name-plate off my door and put it in the waiting truck.

I stood there to see fully the grounds
Where we spent the first ten years of happily married life.
My son, now like a king of gods, came here to our life.
Here too we sadly gave to the holy fires our other son.
He is calling now from a corner and saying:
“ Mommy, daddy, you forgot nothing to take with you,
Have you forgotten me?”
While taking my final steps, a sharp piece of broken glass
Pierces my bare foot and I see pearls
Of blood on the footprints l leave behind.

*****
The original is in Gujrati. The following literal version was kindly sent to me by Maansi Mehta.

Junu Ghar Khali Karta

While Emptying the Old House

Check everything again and again, and found many things : Old broom, toothbrush and small piece of used soap, A bottle without cover, and old tin container, and bucket with hole in her womb, Broken glasses, clip, button and pin..needle and thread, Took off the name board from the door of my name. Which I placed reverse in the truck and sent off. Stood there to get the eyeful of that earth, On which we spent the first decade of our loving marriage. Where our son, who is like king of Gods entered our life. And where, we gave away other to pious fire with heavy heart. He still calls from the corner, and says, "Mother Father, you dint forget anything else, but have you forgotten me?" A sharp small piece of glass, got into the barefoot. While taking out the steps, there are pearls of blood on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home